If you have a Mi device and are bored with the stock Miui ROM then trying out custom ROMs can be a refreshing experience for you. Custom ROMs are a custoMized version of the android operating system that has been modified to have more custoMizations and features. In this article, we will see how you can install a custom ROM on your Mi mobile.
What are custom ROMs?
If you are new to the android world or haven’t dived into the custom firmware world of android yet then you might not know what exactly custom ROMs are. Custom ROMs are just a highly modified version of the Android operating system.There are tons of custom ROMs available in the market as of now. Custom ROMs tend to provide features and custoMizations that default android os or operating systems such as Miui don’t provide. Custom ROMs provide features such as theMing, status bar custoMizations, custom fonts, root access, performance modifications, etc. If you haven’t tried custom ROM so far and want to try one then this article is for you. Some of the most popular custom ROM available for android devices are
- Arrow os
- Superior os
- Syberia os
- Havoc os
- Revenge os
- Resurrection reMix os
- Crdroid os
- Viper os
- Bootleggers os
- Candy ROM
- POSP os
- Bliss ROM
- Lineage os
Each custom ROM comes with some different modification options and custoMizations. You can choose among any of the available custom ROMs for your device and install it for your personal use.
Procedure to install custom ROMs
If you are new to custom ROMs then this Might seem very intimidating to you at first, but as you try it on your own a couple of times you will get acquainted with it. Before installing a custom ROM there are certain pre-request sites that are needed which are listed below
- You need to have an unlocked bootloader. It is one of the most important requirements without which we can’t proceed further. If you are unable to unlock your bootloader or are stuck at then download Mi account unlock tool Mi account verification you can use mi account unlock tool online
- You will also need a custom recovery for your device as it will be used to install the custom ROM.
- Google apps for gapps for short are also required to get the features provided by google search as google play store Gapps is a package of Google apps that are specifically made to be installed while flashing custom ROMs. You can download a suitable gapps for your operating system fROM here. Just select the appropriate android version and select the platform as arm64.
- You will also need magisk if you want to root your custom ROM. You can download the latest version of magisk fROM here.
- Last but not least, you will also need the zip file of your custom ROM. You can find custom ROMs for your device on XDA forums. Just do a search for your device’s subforum on XDA and you will get related results if it exists.
You can download a suitable ROM of your choice fROM there
To install a custom ROM in your Mi mobile just follow the steps given below
- Once you have downloaded a suitable custom ROM for your phone copy it to your internal storage along with gapps and magisk.
- Now, shut down your device by holding down the power button for some time. Now we need to put into custom recovery we can do this by pressing the volume down + power button together.
- Once you are put into custom recovery you need to make a backup of your current ROM so that you can revert to it if anything goes wrong during the flashing procedure.
- Select the backup option and checkmark all the fields available and select the location for your backup. Make sure you have enough free storage on whichever location you choose
- Once the backup is completed navigate to the main screen of the custom recovery and select the wipe option. Now click on the advanced wipe button.
- Select all the options that are present there excluding internal storage, external storage, USB OTG. Make sure that you don’t select the three in any case otherwise your storage will be wiped out and you will not be able to install the custom ROM.
- Now swipe the slider at the bottom of the screen to start the wiping process.
- Once the wife is complete navigate to the main screen of the custom recovery and select the install option.
- Now select downloaded custom ROM file and click ok. If you can’t find the zip file of your custom ROM then make sure that proper storage is selected by clicking on the select storage button.
- Now swipe the slider at the bottom of the screen to start the flashing process.
- Once the flash and process are complete you can flash apps and magisk too. You can also flash the files altogether by just adding them one by one using the add zip button.
- When everything is installed successfully click on the reboot system button.
- The first boot usually takes more time around 5 to 10 minutes so don’t worry if your device is stuck at the food screen for that much period of time.
- Device to remove successfully check if you have a new app named as magisk manager in your app drawer or not. If you don’t find the magisk manager app you can download it fROM here and install it on your own.
- Now you can log in google play services and restore the backups you had made previously.
- Now you successfully have installed custom ROM on your device.
Some custom ROMs have Gapps inbuilt into them. So for them, you don’t need to flash Gapps separately. Check for inbuilt Gapps before downloading the ROM to save time and data.
Custom ROMS are pretty common nowadays and most of them are better than the stock ROM provided by different OEMs as they provide more control and features to the user than most stock ROMs. In the end, the choice is completely yours, if you want to get better performance, features, and battery life then custom ROMs are a must-try.